Did you read about the earlier workroom makeover? Check out parts 1, 2, and 3.
At this point the room should look pretty familiar to you! Do you see that stack of containers next to the table? I seriously underestimated how many little origami stars I had made, and I outgrew the containers pretty soon after cleaning up the workroom.
That’s about 1/3 of the stars that made – still unpackaged and with nowhere to go. I considered just getting more of the containers, but it occurred to me that they didn’t really meet my needs. Scrapbooking paper is heavy, and lugging through the containers to get the one I needed (always at the bottom – how does that happen?!?) was bothering me. If a system doesn’t work, it’s worth trying a new one.
I spent some time looking through the various container options, and found one that was reasonably priced and could potentially solve the problem of separate containers. Behold:
I love this little cart! It has 6 drawers and holds just as much as the 6 containers of paper. As you can see, it’s as tall as 7 of the cases I had used before. I now have a bunch of extra cases to store the little origami stars in, and I can finally get around to photographing all the stars that aren’t up in our Leaves of Paper Etsy shop yet… I don’t know about you, but when there’s something blocking me from getting things done efficiently, it feels like everything, even unrelated things, take so much longer. There’s a major backlog of exciting things to go up, and we’l; even be debuting a new look in the next 2 weeks! Would you believe that only 1 1/2 of those containers are up on Etsy? So much work still to be done!
How about you? How is your workroom looking?
Welcome to the new CGC! We are making a lot of changes behind the scenes, and in the coming weeks you will see:
- new projects
- new products
- behind-the-scenes photos
- exclusive previews
- and so much more!
We are so excited to share this new adventure with you and hope that you enjoy the ride! This will a place that welcomes anyone from the pinterest expert who loves the idea of crafting (but not making them) to the novice crafter to the experienced Etsy seller. Each of our tutorials comes with picture, word and video instructions to help everyone learn in their favorite medium. There’s even a rating system to help you decide if it’s something you want to try and how long it will take to try it. We have loads of new products planned and made for this year. Our main focus this year will be paper goods, but we will be exploring all kinds of crafts so if paper isn’t your thing, just wait until the next post!
We have always wanted a place to share all the things that we love to talk about, and this seems like the perfect time to be the change we want to see. We believe that everyone can create and enjoy handcrafted goods and we are making this the home for anything crafty. Everything we make is handcrafted. Even when we make things that look like something you can pick up from a big box store, you can guarantee that our version will last a lot longer! All of our projects are stylized but can be easily personalized to reflect your tastes. What we show you are merely suggestions and you can use style suits you.
As always, you can keep up-to-the-minute with us through your favorite forms of social media: facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest, tumblr and google+
See you next time!
Caroline and Gillian
Psst: I highly recommend following this board if you love giveaways and sales!
Hello! Another busy week down. Only one more week until our first Christmas craft fair! There’s more information and directions to the event at the bottom of the post.
- We’ve both been focusing on getting ourselves ready for the Christmas rush. I’ve been getting the etsy shops ready by tweeking the SEO and updating some of the pictures. It’s fascinating to see how far we have come in the last year! I’m even making changes to listings I created in the summer – each time I learn something new I try and upgrade the listings as soon as I can. Gillian has been working on a new type of art for various paper based goodies… but you’ll have to check back tomorrow for the sneak peek to see pictures!
- I’ve also been making more boxes. We have 5 different sizes and there are more Christmas ones in the mix. Here’s most of the boxes:
I promise that they will be part of a much prettier display on Saturday! The box from the photo last week is 1/3 full again, too!
- I went into center city Philly on Sunday to hang out with some college friends. I had a great time but it left me wondering, how many lip products do I need?!
All of these were in my purse on Saturday night. Has this ever happened to you? Maybe I just need to clean out my purse more often!
- C & G Supplies now has all of our halloween and Christmas craft supplies up!
- Virtual Designer is also up and running! All of our services are available and a series of “how-to” guides for both websites and Etsy shops will be going up soon.
- It was a frustrating week at times, so the wire wrapped rings are not up yet. Part of this is because I forgot to bring my scissors with me on the train to Philly. I was going to use that time to make a few example rings. It was nice, though, because it gave me a good excuse to chat to other people and play some games on my phone.
- And finally, we had our first interview as business owners today! We had a lovely chat with Terri Belford (you can check out one of her websites here) which will be going up soon. We’ll link to it once it’s up! We talked about how we started CGC and the evolution of both the business and our mother-daughter relationship. This was so much fun but a exhausting for a pair of introverts!
Don’t forget: next Saturday from 9am to 2pm we will be selling the sample dresses seen in the photos in Party and Peasant Dresses, the cardigans and sweaters in Knitted and Purled, baby gifts from Cracking Good Crafts, as well as a bunch paper goods both from Leaves of Paper as well as craft fair exclusives! If you live near Pottstown, PA we would love to see you!
Click here for directions and here for more information about the venue. Hope to see you there!
See you next week!
Hello everyone! It is a lovely fall day here in Pennsylvania. I’ve been tinkering with a crock pot apple butter recipe so the house smells incredible right now!
Today we are starting what we hope will become a weekly feature – the sneak peek! We will give you the first look at what we are doing this week so that you can see our process and get a sense of what goes on behind-the-scenes.
What’s new this week:
- Christmas craft supplies are going up in our C & G Supplies Etsy shop
- We have a new binding machine!
- We have become quite aware of our affinity for paper – we each have a table covered!
- Party and Peasant Dresses is going on vacation for the winter by the end of the day Monday, October 6.
- Our Virtual Designer and Knitted & Purled Etsy Shops will be opening soon, dates TBA.
- Our Google+ pages are almost up and running!
Next week’s edition will have more photos!